Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things."

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Front Range Bible Church has traditional music. That is not to say that I'm against contemporary music, Christian or otherwise. I'm not a zealot against rock, nor do I adopt rock music without any kind of standards. Culturally, rock music is the music of youthful rebellion, although this does not apply to every song written and performed in the genre. Musically, rock music falls far short of the standards of western civilization. This article brings the matter to light, http://www.artsreformation.com/a001/ih-music-rules.html.
The issue remains, may contemporary Christian music be employed as an evangelistic tool, even if it is generally representative of youthful rebellion and substandard in quality? Are there scriptural analogies to cultural accomodation? There is one great one: 1 Corinthians 9:19-23, 19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.

For the purpose of evangelism, rock music and many other creative cultural accomodations may be employed, as long as they don't cross the line into immorality, what is forbidden to all. Yet this does not make classical and traditional church music outdated or inappropriate. Far from it! Why not have excellent music for worship, which better represents a striving for excellence in the Christian life?

No comments: