Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things."

Friday, June 11, 2004

A sense of awe prevails as I write after watching the national funeral for President Reagan. I cried proud tears - to have served under him was a privilege; to vote for him an honor; to follow his example of humility, leadership, and service, a necessity.

His sun-bright mind was eclipsed by alzheimer's disease. I remember thinking in December of 2000, what would Ronald Reagan think? Would he cheer the decision of the Supreme Court? Sorrow over the divisions in the country? And again in September of 2001 - what thoughts would Ronald Reagan have, what guidance? I quietly thanked God that he could not know, and at the same time that we had the man in the oval office that the Lord knew we needed, in His infinite wisdom. The spirit of Ronald Reagan prevails in America, and will prevails as long as we stay faithful to our heavenly Father. Few men in any time of history embody the Lord's will for government, and in our time, it seems, fewer still. Ronald Reagan did that as well as anyone I've known.

I am communicating to my son, that when you put on the uniform it matters very much who occupies the Oval Office. That is why this has been a hard grief. To President Reagan I render a lingering salute, and it is so hard to express how much I look forward to heaven, when I can see with my own eyes his jaunty hand giving his return. Until then.

Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob will have to wait in line; Ronald Wilson Reagan stands higher on my heavenly dinner guest list. No disrespect intended to the others, but he was the man of my times.

No comments: